HymnQuest Online App Help
This page gives an overview of the user interface and features of the HymnQuest Online App. We believe that once you get started, you will find the interface intuitive and self-explanatory.
Accessing the hymns and songs is done by searching the various Indexes, which are are similar to those you might find in the back of a printed hymnal or song collection and are divided into three groups. They are accessed simply by tapping on the appropriate tab heading or index title.
This includes the following indexes:
First Lines & Choruses; Authors/Sources; Themes; Bible References; Lectionary and Full Text.
This contains these indexes:
Tune Names; Composers & Sources; Metres
This is where you will find the remaining indexes, which relate to both texts and tunes:
Books; Copyright Administrators
Tapping the Submit button (or selecting a record from the Index drop-down list as appropriate) will produce a list of search results relating to your request. Public Domain titles will be displayed in bold type whilst Copyright titles will appear in a lighter grey. Display options are available allowing you to hide copyright texts altogether, show the Public Domain first, or to show all texts alphabetically.
Tapping on a title in the Text Search Results list will load the individual page for the item in question.
Here you can see:
- The full text (where available), or a note of the reason why the lyrics are not displayed
- A button to Copy Text to Clipboard (where possible)
- Details about the Author(s) and copyright holder
- Tunes to which the text has been set
- Linked Texts
- Relevant Themes and Bible References for the given text
- Books in which the text can be found
Tapping on any of the detailed information will load the main record for that item. For example, tapping on the tune name will load the record for that tune.
Tapping on a title in the Tune Search Results list will load the individual page for the item in question.
Here you can see:
- The Metre (where available)
- The opening notes of the Tune (which can be played back)
- Details about the Composer(s) and copyright holder
- Text to which the tune has been set
- Linked Tunes
- Full Score Links (to PDF versions of 1,300 public domain tunes)
- Books in which the tune can be found
Tapping on any of the detailed information will load the main record for that item. For example, tapping on the Composer name will list the other tunes by that composer.
Whilst great care has been taken in preparing this database, it cannot be guaranteed to be correct. The Pratt Green Trustees, Stainer & Bell Ltd, the editors and designers of the software and programming and any other individuals assisting with the project cannot guarantee it is free from errors and omissions, or accept any liability for matters arising from using the data supplied.
© Copyright 2019 The Pratt Green Trust and past and present Joint General Editors. All rights reserved.